Google+ Living Under One Sun

menu


2013 - Happy New Year, so why not turn over a new leaf?
Meet friendly, interesting people learn new skills
through our volunteer scheme.

LUOS is a multi-award winning community project, run mainly by volunteers and based in Tottenham, North London. Promoting healthy living, community leadership, harmony and much more.

We offer training and support with:
  • Volunteering opportunities on areas of our work and portfolio development
  • Community Horticulture and Organic food growing
  • Bee keeping
  • Community leadership & Urban regeneration
  • Community Project development and management
  • Community events with pop up cafe & health and well being services
  • Community Outreach and consultation - Access to & improving services
  • Workshops healthy cooking, catering & fitness
  • Guided walks on food and herbal medicine
  • School visits and mentoring
  • Team building events
  • Knitting classes
  • Over 55 Club

Please get Involved, we need your help. Volunteers for Thursday & Saturday allotment sessions.

At the Neighbourhood Resource Centre we need help with admin, community outreach, organising events, writing blogs, news, updating and helping with our website.

Be inspired by reading testimonies from existing LUOS volunteers ...


Henim (47) mother of three:
I love cooking Turkish food and sharing recipes with community coming from all over the world. I have been volunteering for LUOS since it all started in 2005 and met so many people, i got my cooking qualification and now run a small business cooking for events.

Jimmy (23):
I started with LUOS when I was 17 got trained as walk leader and canoe and kayak instructor, then went on a community leadership course and set up as self-employed instructor in health and fitness. 6 years later I am a director at LUOS, take responsibility for the future of a fantastic organisation. I also work for SPURS as a Community Cycling mentor.

Peter (75):
I'm a retired carpenter and I come to LUOS community allotment once a week, sometimes more, and have been helping to build it up as a place where schools and community can come ,learn , meet each other and share skills. It’s a very beautiful place and always a lot to do - we need more volunteers to do things.

Suzanne (32):
I cannot believe how excited I have become being part of Tottenham since joining the LUOS project, Tottenham is great! Organising village square events in the summer showed me together we can achieve a lot and things are not hopeless. We also helped a local resident to come and launch her first book about life in places like Tottenham.

Tom (35) teacher:
I only came to have a look at what was going on in the neighbourhood. I got invited to join in to get my hosuing association involved . LOUS and Blooming Beds and Bees offered me an opportunity to meet people that live in my area and engage with them on a regular basis. I have been trained in beekeeping and have had the opportunity to work in community engagement, outdoor teaching of young people, engage in a working urban agriculture project and has encouraged me to become more involved in a number of different communities projects. I am now a member of LUOS’s committee working with other volunteers to make health and well-being and community leadership in Tottenham an everyday reality.

Anon:
LOUS and Blooming Beds and Bees offered me an opportunity to meet people that live in my area and engage with them on a regular basis. I have been trained in beekeeping and have had the opportunity to work in community engagement, outdoor teaching of young people, engage in a working urban agriculture project and has encouraged me to become more involved in a number of different communities in my area.

Azar (29):
I joined the women exercise classes, after we had cook and share sessions I met other people from all kinds of backgrounds and I could bring my little girl. Sometimes we had sessions on access to community services and it was then I got help, got to know and trust others, got my rights and life back. I will never forget . I am a volunteer and would like to give something back to LUOS to keep it going for helping people like me.

Kate (24):
As a student Graduate in Haringey I joined LUOS to help with the admin and setting up the office base in Northumberland Park for 2 days a week. I ended up becoming a community champion setting up community project learning to be a bee keeper. Making clay ovens , meeting people from all cultures, ages and back grounds. It helped build my confidence and portfolio. I have now got a full time job in local government

Marion mother of two:
I came to find out how to grow herbal medicine I ended up spending so much time with my family at LUOS community Allotment and got trained as a community leader to help develop growing spaces in my children's school and involve school community, parents & staff in growing our own food and teaching curriculum at the same time .My two young boys are also learning to be be keepers, they just love it.

Jade (23):
Before volunteering at LUOS I felt really judgmental and protective, not trusting or having time for others. I can see now that you can really come out of yourself and meet others, build trust and learn great stuff together, not just for me and my daughter but for our neighbourhood. I can now get reference to help with my job search too.

Jo (32):
My boyfriend and I wanted to contribute to our community and meet other people, especially those who felt the same. We have both done and learned so much in the year we’ve been a part of LUOS. Bee-keeping, gardening, herbal medicine to setting up the BBB festival, and the Village Square project, which brought activities and healthy food to Northumberland Park. We’ve developed leadership skills too, that will help us in further projects and our careers. Every project is different, each one teaches us so much, we feel very lucky to be a part of it.